Monday, September 12, 2011

Border Collie Club Open Show, 11 September 2011

Yesterday we went through to Scottborough for the Natal Border Collie Club Open Show. I can’t say I enjoyed the day – the wind blew so strongly that our gazebo’s poles buckled, and I found the day really long and somewhat boring as I am not used to only having two dogs entered in the show - I was up before 4 am, got to the show just after 7 am, helped to put up the Contact Agility course, and sat from about 8 am until almost 11 am waiting for our turn.

Ozz at least went clear and came 1st with a qualification in his Contact Agility class:



In the dog jumping he had one bar down (5 penalties), but the fastest time. Only two of the 16 or so dogs in the class had clear rounds, so he got 3rd place.

I should have had Sparkle measured before her first show, because, when she was measured yesterday, she was found to be standing at 43,8cm (another judge measured her at 42,8cm), which means that she should have been competing in the medium Dog Jumping class (same course as the large dogs but lower jumps) all along, and not in the large dog category. Well, we had a blast over the lower jumps – I felt much happier putting her over them than the higher ones. She had a lovely, clear round and was placed 2nd, an awesome Springer Spaniel called Merlot beating her time by less than a second:



In the non-contact, I was over-ambitious and thought Ozz would come over a jump towards me after going through the tunnel (being so used to my Border Collies doing that), but being a velcro-dog and an Aussie, he didn’t – we got five penalties for a “refusal” as he ran past the jump he was supposed to jump. We still got a 1st, but not a qualification:



Looking forward to and holding thumbs, crossing fingers and paws, for the next show.

No comments:

Post a Comment